Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Old Man Winter Hits Hard

At 6 am this morning it was -8 on my porch.  How about you.......In the 13 years I have lived here in Tennessee this is by far the coldest I have seen it.  And for a few days to boot.  The last couple of mornings we had our power go on and off numerous times.  Just as the tv would reboot and come on, you got it......the power would go off. Didn't want to take a shower, because I was afraid just as I was ready to dry my hair, the power would go off.  I had a load of laundry that took me all morning to finish.  Then last night, our power went off just as I was starting dinner.  So we sat on the couch as it started to get dark.  Got the candles out, lit the fireplace and curled up on the couch with the dogs and several quilts.  1 hour goes by, then 2.  OK now its time to start the wood burning stove cause its below 0 out and the house temperature is dropping.  So Johnny worked on the fire and I went to the kitchen with a flashlight and made us a big salad and a cup of hot coco.  Just as we sat in front of the fire to eat....................................the power came on. By then it was too late to start dinner so Johnny went to the warmth of the bed and quilts and me and the dogs stayed on the couch and we all watched what was left of our programs.  Today no power outage.  It was great, but very cold.  I worked on a few classes I'm teaching, caught up on email and finished my laundry.  While I was starting dinner tonight Johnny went to check all the faucets and realized the cold water in my craft room was frozen somewhere in the pipes in the wall.  Then we found one of the 2 faucets in the upstairs bathroom wasn't working.  Now we have to wait till it warms up a little to see if there is a break in the pipes (that means we will see water leaking somewhere) or if they didn't break just wait for the thawing and when we leave for our trip we will turn the water off to the house just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment