Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Sun Actually Came Out

Saturday,  5/31

Another early start and what we thought was going to be a sunny day.  But one hour into our ride it started getting very cloudy and then very foggy.  Rain wasn't as bad today. As soon as we entered Texas the sun came out.  We traveled over 300 miles again today and ended in Amarillo, TX. We set up camp, walked dogs and drove to the nearest car wash to clean off the very dirty tow car.  Then Johnny wanted to see historic Route 66.   Well guess what?  Here in Amarillo there is only one block left. Plus it was widened and it's full of shops.  Not what Johnny expected and he was very disappointed.  We walked thru 2 antique shops....I'm lucky I got him in 2.  I did find 2 tea pots that I plan to make tea Cozies for and sell at my craft show.  Great gift idea for the tea drinker..




 
Check out the vintage clothes in this one shop I went into.  Boy was it fun to see all the poodle skirts she had. And if I was looking for them, she also had a ton of Red Hats.

Then on the way back to the camp ground we decided to stop for dinner at the steak house that has the 32 oz. steak.  Our waiter tells us there was a lady in there recently who ate not one but 2 and the first one in less than 5 minutes.   WHAT!!!!  I just find it hard to believe.





So we are now in HOT, DRY, weather.  And I promise you I won't complain.  I'm over winter and rain.  I will now start piling on the sun screen and wear my shirt.  Nothing on TV any more and the sun is still bright at 8 pm and I should be sewing. But to take it out for a few hours and have to pack up again is just crazy. These one nighters, trying to get to the Grand Canyon makes it hard to unpack.  When we hit somewhere we plan to be a while I can unpack and start sewing.

We head out for New Mexico tomorrow and for sure don't want to stay more than over night there. After that if we are making good time we will look for some places to visit before the Grand Canyon. I have been posting pictures on FB but just can't get them here right now. With Flagstaff burning, and we haven't seen the news to see if the road are still closed, Oak Creek Canyon is out. So that's it for today. I may buy a book and read for a while. My Daisey and Lacey are asleep on the couch with me, Johnny is in bed under the new Quilt and life is good.  Until tomorrow.........

No comments:

Post a Comment